Sunday, April 4, 2010

Things move slower in a small town. I know that everyone says that but it is true. You may be sitting in traffic in a big city, or waiting for public transportation somewhere. You may be bored just sitting around your city apartment thinking about how nothing ever happens there. Trust me on this though, things move slower in small towns. It is a culture thing that makes everything in a small town move at a creep. Even now after being away from Wendell for seven years I still feel it in me some days. The city is moving 100 miles per hour compared to life in a small town. People on cell phones, business getting done on the fly, people just wanting to get to the store seems faster in the city then it does in a small town. Tractors driving down main street, people riding horses and cattle getting out of pastures are just a few of the things that make it slower. It isn't just that though, it is the pace of life. It isn't like people in a small town aren't in a hurry, it is just a different hurry then you may be use to. I liked to drive fast, but not to get anywhere. Week days in the summers were spent at Thousand Springs just hanging out with friends. Winters we would all head to Pomerell to snowboard. We would take our time and just hang out. These times were some of the funnest times for me.

One day Kendi, Jeremy and I headed down to Miracle Hot Springs or the ol' "soak-n-poke" as we use to call it. It was during school and we just needed to get away for the afternoon. We got a private room and just hung out and talked. We spent a lot of time in the Hagerman Valley just hanging out.

The stories that you hear on TV are not always true, they are close but not true. We do not go cow tipping, however we would tell people from out of town that we did and we would show them where to do it. One night we left a kid from California out in the desert when we told him that he had to get a little closer to the cow to tip it over. We spent a lot of time in the desert drinking and screwing around. One night we drove out to the desert where Donny was spending the night. We took some paint ball guns with us and went out to scare him. We found him drunk down in a sand dune. We pulled up and jumped out like we were going to shoot him and he started freaking out. He ended up dumping his whole bottle of Malibu Rum in the sand, he was so drunk that he started grabbing the wet sand and shoveling it in his mouth so it didn't go to waste.

Hanging out at Maverick was another thing that we did on a Friday or Saturday night. You would catch everyone in town coming through to get gas. You could just hang out there until you found something cool to do. One night a few of us were hanging out at Maverick and a few chicks rolled up, one of which I thought was cute. They walked in and grabbed some snacks on their way to Twin to see what was happening. When they walked out I asked the one if she wanted to make out. As a joke she turned and kneed me in the junk. She really meant it has a joke but she caught me square and dropped me right there in the middle of town. I was in pain for the next hour, luckily Maverick had free ice which I used that night.

I also I got into some trouble hanging out at Maverick. The police station was on the backside of Maverick in a single wide trailer. The police would always be coming over to get a drink or a doughnut. It was hilarious though because Maverick was always getting robbed. Everyone in town thought that it was so hilarious when Maverick would get robbed when the cop shop was right there. Anyway one night I went down to get some chocolate for my mom. I had been out after curfew a few times before this and had always been advised to take a note from my parents with me. So this time I made sure that my mom gave me one. As I was getting ready to leave Officer Goff walked in and I immediately knew I was in trouble. Officer Goff was always so ticked off at me for some reason. As I went to walk out he grabbed me and asked what I was doing out so late. I told him that I had been sent by my mom and that I had a note. He took the note and then proceeded to tell me that it didn't have a date on it. I told him he could call my parents and ask. He got in my face about how I was always getting into trouble and he didn't need to call my parents. He kept me there for an hour threatening to take me to jail. When I got home my mom drove me back down there and waited in the car to see if I would get in trouble but he didn't show back up.

No comments:

Post a Comment